Historical Places of Andhra Pradesh, India
A Guide to Historical Places of Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad Historical Places
Mohammed Quli Qutub Shah, the founder of Hyderabad, builds Charminar in 1951 at
the center of the original city layout.
Constructing a dam on the river Musi in the year 1920 by H.E.H. Mir Osman Ali
Khan, planned by Bharath Ratna Sir.Mokshagundam Visweswarayya for the water
supply to Hyderabad city, formed this beautiful lake. The catchments area of the
lake is 46 sq.km.
Before the city of Hyderabad was founded the Kakatiya’s ruled the Deccan from
Golconda fort. Founded originally in the 13th century the existing structure was
expanded by the Qutub Shahi kings into a massive fort of granite with walls and
ramparts extending some 5km in circumference.
The Hussain Sagar Lake which links twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad was
constructed in 1562 A.D. Later 33 statues of historical personage of Andhra
Desha were placed along the bund of the lake. The well laid out Lumbini park
located in the Buddha Purnima project has a musical fountain.
The few bricks from Mecca that are embedded in the walls of this impressive
mosque, gives it its name. Its lofty colonnades and entrance arches are made of
single slabs of granite brought from a stone quarry, 11 k.m north of Charminar,
Legend says, 1400 bullocks were required to pull these.
The Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet was first established in 1923 in the
erstwhile State of Hyderabad due to the initiative of Mr. H. Wakefield under the
Nizam of Hyderabad (the erstwhile royal family of Hyderabad) and was meant
exclusively for the education of the sons of the Jagirdars.
Quiet close from Golconda fort are the tombs of the seven Qutub Shahi rulers
amidst the Ibrahim Bagh. The tombs are domed structures built on a square base
surrounded by pointed arches.
Ramappa situated in Palampet village 70 kms from Warangal town in Andhra Pradesh
is a magnificent monument dating back to 1213 A.D. It is also called by
Ramalingeswara temple. It documents the glory and grandeur of the Kakatiya
Visakhapatnam Historical Places
Borra Caves discovered by William King George from the Geological Survey of
India in 1807. Caves are located at 43km from Srungavarapukota, 90-95 km
Pavuralakonda or 'the hill of the pigeons' is a hillock lying to the west of
Bhimli, at about 24 km from Vizag,where a Buddist site identified.
Medak is endowed with archaeological treasures. In ancient times it was a
teeming metropolis of Buddhist culture as revealed by several archaeological
excavations. The main landmark of Medak is the church. Standing firm and awe
inspiringly tall amidst sylvan surroundings, the church dominates the skyline
beckoning the faithful.
The Mogalarajapuram caves are another site of interest. These have three cave
temples, dating back to the 5th century A.D., one of which is well preserved. It
contains the idols of Lord Nataraja, Vinayaka and others. The Ardhana-reeshwara
Murthy found here is considered the only one of its kind in South India.
Warangal is the mighty capital of the Kakatiya Kingdom. Just about 157 kms from
Hyderabad, lies the legendary city of Warangal, which has found its way into
Mareo Plo's travel diaries! Cross the threshold through the impressive huge
stone gateways, A Kakaitya King Ganapathi Deva and his daughter, Rani Rudrama,
built the Waragal Fort in the 13th century, the once impregnable fort combines
geometrical intricacies and beautifully carved arches.