Hussain Sagar, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
Hussain Sagar, Hyderabad
Mohammad Quli Qutub Shah founded Hyderabad in 1591 on the banks of Musi River.
The city has a glorious tradition of tanks and lakes. Hussain sagar links
Hyderabad with Secunderabad with a bund, known as the Tank Bund, which is 2.5 Km
long. The Hussain Sagar Lake which links twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad
was constructed in 1562 A.D. The bund was built even before the founding of the city Hyderabad and the Charminar. The excavation of the lake was carried out in 3 years, 7 months and 19
days from the date of commencement. Sultan Ibrahim Qutub Shah-II asked his
son-in-law Hazarath Hussain Shah Wali, who was a great Engineer of that time to
construct a Palace, a Mosque, a Garden and a Tank. The people of the city called
this water body Hussain Saab Cheruvu.
Subsequently on completion of the tank, the Sultan named it after his son-in-law
Hussain Sagar. The characteristic features of this bund were its stone masonry
construction, its architectural design and shape ,its butterfly sluices with
provision for automatic outflow of surplus water. The first source of water
supply to Hyderabad is Hussain Sagar Lake. The Lake was constructed in 1562 AD
on the Tributary of Musi.
It covers an area of 8 Square Km. In 1891 a Slow sand filter was setup in
Narayanaguda and the lake was used to provide Drinking Water. The water of
Hussain Sagar Lake was sufficient for the people of Hyderabad then. The first
piped protected water supply to the city was started from the Lake. The old
water pipe lines are still functional.
The water of this lake was used for irrigation as well as drinking purpose for
over 350 years.The area of this lake in the past was about 1664 hectares. This
area has progressively decreased to 350 to 400 hectares. It is a treasure and
heritage water body which connects Hyderabad and Secunderabad cities. That’s why
they are called as twin cities. One cannot think of twin cities without Hussain
Sagar Lake. The lake is an ecological asset to the twin cities as its water
spreads not only caters to the water needs of the twin city people but also
charges ground water in the areas around it. The water of this lake served the
drinking water needs up to around 1930. The water was reasonably good up to 1976
with rich aquatic life. Birds from Europe used to halt in the lake in the winter
season during their migration to the southern region.
Later 33 statues of historical personage of Andhra Desha were placed along the bund of the lake. The well laid out Lumbini park located in the Buddha Purnima project has a musical fountain.
Buddha Purnima Project
As a part of the Buddha Purnima Project on Tank bund, a magnificent 18lm high, 350 tones monolithic statue of Lord Buddha has been erected on the ‘Rock of Gibraltar’ in the middle of the lake. The project is a great tourist draw.
Note: Summer Season Plaza (Sunday Tamasha) - every Sunday in summer season traffic will be stopped from 6 p.m - 8 p.m.
Free Traffic Zone from 5.30 a.m - 7.30 a.m. (It is useful for morning walkers)
How to reach?
- Bus : Route No. 8 Secunderabad - Charminar (Covering Areas: Patny, Paradise,
Ranigunj, DBR Mills, Tankbund, Secretariat, Birla Mandir)